Serves: 4 // Prep: 25min // Cook: 2hrs
1.5kg pork belly
4T Danny Balboa's Rub-it Downey Jnr Salt
2C chicken stock
4 crusty long bread rolls
1⁄2 C mayo (we love Kewpi but any will do)
1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly lengthways
Spring onions, thinly sliced
1 red chilli, sliced
Handful of coriander leaves
2C orange juice
1⁄4 C balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 C brown sugar
2T Danny Balboa's Electric Dynamite
1T soy sauce
Salt & Pepper
Quick carrot pickle
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into fine batons (a mandolin is your best friend for this)
2T white sugar
1C white vinegar
2 garlic cloves peeled
1. Score pork, cover evenly with salt and place on a rack in the fridge for
as long as possible, preferably overnight.
2. We are cooking this guy quick and fast so you want your BBQ/Smoker/Oven as hot as possible. Place your pork on a rack over a baking tray and pop in hot boi of your choice. Give it 30min before pouring your stock into the baking tray (making sure it doesn't touch
the cracke) and reducing the temp to 180c. Cook for another 1hr
20min. Leave to rest before slicing
3. While your pork is doing its thing you need to prepare your pickle. Chuck all ingredients for your pickle into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Place your carrot into a glass jar and then cover with your boiling liquid before sealing and popping it into the fridge to cool.
4. For your glaze pop all your ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk to combine. Bring it to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let it cook down gently until your glaze becomes thick and glossy (approx. 20min).
5. To serve, split rolls down the centre of the top and slather one side generously with mayo. Top with slices of pork drizzled with glaze, cucumber, carrot, coriander, chilli, spring onions and fried shallots.