Serves: 4 // Prep: 25min // Cook: 2hrs 40min
6 lamb shanks
1 bunch coriander
Spring onions, finely sliced
12 Corn tortillas
Knob of butter
Lime to serve
1 can pineapple, crushed
1 big brown onion, peeled and diced
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1T Danny Balboa’s Crustin Timberlake
2T brown sugar
1t chicken stock powder
2T soy sauce
3C pineapple juice
1 orange (zested + juiced)
3 spring onions, roughly chopped
1 Jalapeno (fresh, roughly chopped)
1. Trim any excess fat off your shanks before browning them off in a banging hot pan. Set to the side.
2. In the same pan, reduce heat to medium and throw in your pineapple, onion and garlic. You want to gently caramelise these guys before adding in your remaining ingredients (add dry ingredients first, then liquids for the best result). Crank the heat back up and bring your marinade to a boil.
3. Put your shanks in a deep baking tray and pour over the marinade. Cover and place in your moderate oven or smoker (180c/350F). Let it do its thing until tender and coming off the bone, around 21⁄2 hrs.
4. When ready, take out your shanks and pull all the meat off the bones (remove any sinew or fatty bits). Strain a cup or two of your marinating liquid back into a saucepan over med/high heat to reduce by about 1/3. When ready to serve warm up your meat by frying quickly in a hot pan with a good drizzle of your marinade
5. To serve fry off your corn tortillas in a little butter and serve topped with lamb, jalapeno, coriander, spring onions, crumbled Manchego cheese and your favourite hot sauce!